Taking Your Child’s Health Back – Part 1
By Deborah Netto, Yellowbrick Accredited Provider
“The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works.” – Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecko in the movie Wall Street, 1987.
Some of you may be too young to remember this groundbreaking movie, but this quote resounded through our culture, sending chills and a foreboding of how the “powers that were” own all the wealth in this country. The other day I was in my local gas station and looked around at the “food” they were selling. NOTHING was real food (ok, so the basket on the counter with some apples that were shipped a 1000 miles, a year old and sprayed with wax to keep them “fresh” could be considered FOOD). How can we protect ourselves and our children from a firmly entrenched food system that is all about making money?
10 Ways to Take Your Child’s Health Back
Disease and sickness are a thriving business in the world today. Our children will not outlive us for the first time ever! The healthcare system does not work, people are sicker than ever. Some of us are not buying it anymore and there is an undercurrent of so called “alternative” medical and holistic professionals who have chosen to remove themselves from this healthcare matrix. They are willing to drill down on the cause of the illness and not just treat the symptom by writing a prescription to Big Pharma. They are actually helping people heal! Remember when healthcare was all about healing? However, how does one, as a parent and individual, start to partially disengage their children and themselves from a system that has failed?
There is hope and many people are taking the small steps necessary to get healthy again and own it. As a Certified Health Coach, I have found that incorporating change only works with small, sustainable steps that resonate with you. Please remember that habits/routines take at LEAST 21 days (for many it is 40 days) to rewire into your brain. Here are my first 5 helpful hints to get you started on your child’s journey to health and happiness:
- Trust- Your gut, otherwise known as your intuition. We all have this gift. It is time to rediscover it. Own it, this is where your Power lies (Solar Plexus). This is where your truth resides. It will tell you when something is not right for you and your children.
- Talk- to an “alternative” or holistic professional. Most insurance carriers have naturopaths in their networks who specialize in family medicine. Functional or integrative medicine doctors also believe in healing instead of just treating the symptom with the revolving door of pills/side effects/pills/side effects.
- Read- the label of the products you are buying. Focus on serving size, ingredients (more than 10, watch out), sugar content- 4.2 grams = 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Shop- the perimeter of your grocery store, where all the real food resides. Buy from local farmers, farmers markets, and support local businesses when you can. Check out the Dirty Dozen for foods that have the least amount of pesticides.
- Drink- Water or seltzer, minimize juice boxes (loaded with sugar), diet sodas (contain neurotoxins), slow down on the caffeine.
These are just 5 of my 10 steps to begin making healthy changes in your children’s life. Start with one or 2 and build upon any positive successes you have and, when you are ready, move onto the next one. And, of course, you can also contact me for additional guidance and support…that is why I am here!
Stay tuned for Part 2 of Taking Your Child’s Health Back, with 5 additional ways to be healthy and well.
I am a certified Health Coach, graduating from the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute and The Institute of Integrative Nutrition. I have met with hundreds of health coaching clients and recently was a program manager for an onsite health coaching program for 3500 healthcare workers.
My personalized Health Coaching program provides a safe space for you to discover how to take your health back, understand your body better and improve you and your family’s eating habits. We determine together, how to help you get past the daily challenges that prevent you and your family from making self-care a priority, while experiencing an increase in overall happiness. Making gradual lifelong changes, free from denial and inflexibility, enables you to reach your current and future health plans and sustain them.
My Coaching practice is based on the foundation that we ALL have the ability to self heal and true wellness begins when you start to take your Health back. I provide support that helps you get to where you want and need to be. Being a Certified Health Coach allows me to provide you with evidence based information that can help you determine what works best for you as a bio-individual. This is all done in a non judgmental and safe space.
Contact me now for a Free 30 minute consultation.
Thank you so much and I look forward to working with you!